Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hero Breakfast


Jacob Kirkendall and Greg Hansen honored as Red Cross heroes


That's the current newspaper headline.

This morning we were able to attend the "Santa Cruz County Red Cross Local Heroes Breakfast." We found out in April that Jake was nominated as youth hero and was asked if Jake would accept. The very cool part of it is that Jake would be awarded this along with Greg Hansen, our dear friend and Jacob Saver. Greg was recognized as the Rescue Professional Hero. Each recipient was interviewed on video with their story which was played just before they were recognized. Greg and Jake were interviewed together at the fire station, telling their story - one so many of us know so well. The tears came back for me as I am so thankful, incredibly grateful for Jake's life, his healing, friendship with Greg, and his future. I am so proud of him.

One of the things that I noticed this morning was a common theme among those honored. To one degree or another, each hero seemed to deflect some of the praise as they told of others that supported them, encouraged them, inspired them. So often we hold up individuals as heroes and yet as we have found over and over again - it is the community. Sorry if that seems to be a broken record but each step we take points this out again and again. As I pursue chaplaincy, I do not do it alone...I do not want to do it alone. I will get to be in the trauma units and ER with patients and families, being the hands and feet of and offering prayers of encouragement with a community behind me. Jake is going to be able to be a counselor at a burn camp for youth. But he does not go alone; he has this entire community behind him who have supported us and prayed for us and encouraged us. WE ARE BLESSED TO BE A BLESSING.

Check out the links below on the breakfast and all of the heroes.

Santa Cruz Sentinel Article Click here
Red Cross Heroes Page Click here


Grace and Peace,

Tom (daddy)

1 comment:

Erika Hietala said...

I almost started crying when I read the article. I've never met Jacob, but he still amazes me.

-Erika
:)