Tuesday, April 13, 2010

View from the Summit, part 2


It has been quite a while since I have posted here. In fact just now I spent over an hour writing and lost the whole thing - it auto saves so I have no idea how this blogger dumbed it. I hit post and it just disappeared. I think that God thought less of what I wrote than I did... so starting afresh. 


First, I wanted to share this prayer request that we received through facebook: 

-------------------------------------

Michelle:  I have been reading all about Jacob; I am so proud of him and everything your family has done, not just for him, but for others as well. I have also been trying to help Jessica Huse, she graduated from my son's school. Now I have a favor, Lauren Jones, from Rocklin, was injured in a sledding accident. She has a fractured skull, a broken leg and four bruised ribs. She's only 10 years old and still in ICU in Rocklin. Could we all please pray for her? 


Her Caring Bridge site is:www.caringbridge.org/visit/sallyjones

-------------------------------------


To update you on Jacob.... he is where we longed for him to be while he was in a coma. He is with his friends as often as he can. He is driving his 1999 Volvo to meet them for pizza, to coffee shops to work on school on his laptop, to appointments and soon he will be back at work. And of course some day soon - back in the water. Can we please slow down a bit. This is tough on dad the most. I inherited my dads "I worry" gene. It is so great to be back to our normal 17-year old issues. Although I still hate these issues. :) Yes, so he is on track to graduate - two classes left and he will be done. He was also cleared by his doctor to return to work at Freeline. Jake still wears his splint on his thumb - I think it gives him more confidence and soon we will be increasing rehab on the thumb. We also down the line will be addressing hair and surgery to release tight skin grafts on his arm. But looking at Jake with his cap on his head - it is hard to tell he was jolted by a power line 10 months ago. 

What is next for me? I accepted a temp job with the Census Bureau for the month of May. I did some work with them last year and though it is not my hearts desire - we need the money. Though I continue to "job search", God seems to be unfolding opportunities for me to do pastoral ministry. I am talking to churches and other ministries and follow this desire to be a chaplain in the community. I had a great meeting with two seasoned chaplains today as they helped me narrow my focus. I will update you next week as I know more. 

We are also moving forward with a non-profit that will allow us to tell Jake's story and encourage others while we also practically raise money to help those in burn trauma. Conversations continue and plans are being made as God seems to be expanding opportunities. One of which is a friend that has gone through his own family trauma that has and great vision that speaks to my heart about a better way to provide an online community and communication format. An easy way to surround a family in midst of trauma and help meet their needs. 

For those that still desire, we are keeping the Bank of the West account open. We are still in need of funds to meet our expenses and to help start the ministries that God seems to be opening up. You can find the bank information on the left side of the blog. 

I read this last week. "Are you willing to be open to God's will for your life?"   - Richard Sterns

So often I get in the way of what God is doing. But God is not giving up. He brings us through circumstances to shape us but also to prepare us for what is next. 

"Christ has no body on earth but yours, 
       no hands but yours, 
       no feet but yours. 
Yours are the eyes through which 
      Christ's compassion for the world is to look out, 
      yours are the feet with which he is to go about doing good
      and yours are the hands with which he is to bless us now."    - St. Teresa of Avila

God is less concerned about the form than about the heart. We see that in Jesus ministry. He reached out to the hurting, restored the wounded, loved those shunned - the unlovely. Jesus anger burned against those that used the form to define spirituality when the heart was rotten. We allow the form to separate us as we value appearance  over all else. A person in trauma - wounded, desperate, scared - cares little about form. They cling to life, long for hope, seek a sliver of relief. In the midst of our day we make it rain or make the sun to shine simply by the position of our heart. 

Still gripping hope...

Tom (daddy) 




1 comment:

liebesreime said...

Yes, this is where we all hoped your son would be. I am so happy for all of you, especially for Jacob, that this tremendously trying challenge in your lives has come to such a happy end. I remember. There were SO MANY unknowns! I remember your devastating fear of possible brain damage as Jacob began to emerge from the coma. I felt your fear as a parent, since my daughter is the same age! we are so very happy for you. best of luck as all of you go forward. It would be nice to hear about Jacob, as the years progress.
If you are reading this Jacob, you have made it. Having overcome this incredible challenge, congratulations, best of luck, use this experience as a positive force for good as you move through life.