Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Erica is still fighting - praise God for stubborn 17 year old fighters!

I am trying to figure out how to best get this information to you on Erica: Facebook, Blog, whatever. Again I do not know Erica but Valerie who has been part of the Jacob's Journey Community has been keeping me in the loop. I have had a lot of people asking me of her status. She has overtaken my heart and prayers with what little I know. I know for me I can picture her parents, Erica and Bernadette, at her side going through what we have gone through. Here is the message that I got through Valerie...
The latest from Erica's parents:

"Eric and I (Bernadette) appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. What we know is this. Erica contracted Bacterial Meningitis-she was vaccinated in August however there are 5 strains and only 4 are covered. She has the 5th and worst strain. She felt ill on Wednesday evening, developed a fever Thursday, went to the campus nurse and received Advil. She slept all day. When she woke up Friday she "hurt" all over. We now know her organs were shutting down. She went to emergency room where she presented with purple face, legs and arms. The blood flow was cut off to extremities. The disease traveled through her blood stream damaging every organ before it could be halted. Short term we are fighting to save her life. She remains on a oscillator as the respirator was not strong enough. She is on constant dialysis to attempt to restabalize blood and do what her kidneys can not. Every day she remains alive we are hopeful of some recovery. If we can get to that point we will face kidney transplant and amputation of digits and possibly an entire foot. We will cross that bridge when it comes. My parents are home helping with Angela and contact them daily. Erica is stubborn and strong in spirit. We remain with her for 22 hours a day encouraging her to fight. Again, we appreciate all of your love and friendship. We pray God will guide all of your positive prayers to help our baby. May God Bless you all.

Eric and Bernadette
Surrounding Erica's journey with the arms of prayer.

Tom (daddy)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is there an update for Ericka?