Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Progress - patient progress

Each day it seems like Jake is subtly stronger and stronger - emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Today he met again with the surgeon that did his thumb. things are looking good. There are a couple of spots that he is still not sure about but overall there is skin growth on the edges and NO sign of infection. Jake and Debbie went to the appointment and seemed okay with it but as I sit here and right I am overjoyed - for so long we have prayed for this thumb - this reminder of the miracles.

We are making progress - sometimes it feels like we are stuck, forgotten, left out... but there is subtle, incremental progress that may not be measured in leaps and bounds but in gentle, hope-filled, nudges. Discouragement comes so easily, too easily when focusing on what is not. I know I have been doing that a lot lately - forgetting that I need to just focus on what is before me - cooking a meal, spending time with family, doing math with Jacob.

I just got "interrupted" in writing this with a phone call from a friend. It was a welcome interruption in that we were able to finally connect a bit with each other's struggles. I spent some time with another dear friend earlier today. What a blessing it is to have people in your life to share struggles with that will accept you as you are and take on your burden as their own. It is an amazing gift to be a true friend. It is an amazing gift to have a true friend. It makes the journey a bit less lonely.

In deep friendship,

Tom (Daddy)

No comments: