Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Love, part 3

I am seeing such a vulnerability in Jacob. There is a fear that his thumb graft may not hold... but from a conversation I had with him today, it is apparent that he is open to whatever happens. He is coming to grips with the fact that this is a long process... maybe he is learning a sort of contentment. Not a contentment that becomes lethargic and opposed to change, but a contentment that has the courage to let go of the things that you have no control over.

A huge blessing has been that his back pain as been much better since this last Friday. His spirits are up because of it. It is truly amazing to meditate on how I foresee Jacob in the future. He will have so much to offer others, and I believe that his life will be a fragile example to others of what the Incarnated Savior did on the Roman Cross, and what happened three days later. I have been so focused on brokenness, on seeing God work in the crucifixion, seeing God breaking us for his Kingdom... but I must equally be focused on the Resurrection, on Easter... the Eucharist (partaking of bread and wine as Jesus had his disciples do as a symbol for what he did on the cross) is fulfilled in Easter, in Resurrection. There is brokenness, and there is redemption. There is healing. But I am not sure that this healing will ever happen on our terms... we must release it to the Father.

I have been seeing love in Jacob's demeanor. He is starting to look outward and empathize with those around him, with what we went through this summer, and he makes sure that we know that he loves us. It is not a sappy love, not even a love that is happy all the time... it is a ruthless love, a steadfast love, a love that is willing to wade through the grime and get dirty (as my dad described it in a previous blog).

Paul says this about love in his first letter to the Corinthians:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love,
I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries
and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains,
but have not love, I am nothing.
If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,
but have not love, I gain nothing.


This is a pretty radical statement. All of these things are great outward signs.... but if love is not present, they are utterly worthless. How does this translate do your life? What are the things in your life which you may do with passion and energy; even, what are things that you feel like you are "doing for God?" Well, those things are worthless if you are not loving as Christ did.

Christ loved the unlovely. The unlovable. Yes, Christ ministered to the homeless and the disabled and the prostitutes and the tax collectors. But there is another level to it too... who is it that frustrates you? Who is it that you are bitter toward? Love them. And know that loving them does not mean being nice to them. Just look at how Christ loved the Pharisees - he loved them by speaking truth into their fake piety. But loving takes energy. Lots of it. It takes a willingness to truly engage someone for who they are, correcting them, challenging them, and encouraging them. And it takes being honest with yourself, with who you are. I am seeing this type of love developing in Jacob and the rest of my family. When the time is right, I am praying that we can focus our energies outward.

Listening to Bob Marley,

Robbie (Jake's brother)

4 comments:

Tom Kirkendall said...

Today Jacob learned of Jessica Huse and how she came to Valley Med while Jacob was in his coma - yet she is still there. Family is fighting to keep her there. Jacob spent time typing with his left hand on facebook - I am not sure what he was typing but I know that he was passing the word about Jessica. Her family is trying to get a petition passed around to unite voices for Jessica's sake - the one who has no voice right now. Jacob is picking up the cause - he is finding his voice. Passing on the prayers that have been offered for him.

Tom Kirkendall said...

http://jesshuse.epetitions.net/

Debbie said...

Thank you Jacob & Tom for bringing Jessica's cause to my attention. I read the link and wept at the tragedy. I am honored to sign the petition! Thanks for getting the word out and for "spreading our vision and opportunities" to love, support and do for others what they cannot do for themselves. :]

Anonymous said...

Jessica Huse is truely suffering. Her family needs all our support now. Hers is truely a sad and tragic story. I urge people to support their cause and contribute whatever they can financially to help this family.