Friday, November 20, 2009

How are you?


I wrote this late last night - I think part of it was in my sleep - so it does not all make sense but I tried to clean it up a bit this morning. I don't have as much time as I use to as there is always something - I need to replace a toilet seat right now but wanted to get this back on the blog....
-----------------------------------------------

A big part of life right now is navigating through the trips to the doctors. Today was 4 hours of testing on brain activity. Jake was pretty exhausted by the time he and Debbie got home this afternoon. There is a follow-up meeting with the doctor in a couple of weeks.

Our internet was up and down so there was very little "Farmville" activity nor school. We are looking forward to doing some school catch-up this next week. "Farmville" is an application in Facebook that many of Jake and Jensen's friends are into. They have some sort of virtual farm - Jensen wanted to hurry home so that he could harvest his grapes today. Maybe it is teaching responsibility? Although Jensen tells me that he will get to the dishes after he helps a friends with a cow or something.


One of my favorite questions that I am asked is "how are you doing?" It is such a normal question - one we rarely thing about when we ask it or answer it. I do not say "fine" anymore. I usually stop and think and answer honestly - the depth depends on who is in front of me. It generally will lead into a deeper conversation that also allows me to honestly hear from the other person on what is going on in their life as well. God continues to amaze me with the conversations available through this journey.

God also continues to amaze me in providing us funds to make it through this time. So many have given so much. We are starting receive statements showing what our insurance is actually paying verses what they have been billed. We have also started to recieve bills for our portion. You think it is all in since we have been out of the hospital for a while but the bills keep going and going like the energizer bunny - but this one is draining. Again it seems that God provides as we need it. So amazing. Bank of the West keeps copies for us of the deposits into the Jacob Journey account and the notes that come in from people. I went it this week to correct our address and retrieve a thick file of copies. I am just blown away how God provided these last two weeks specifically from friends that are parft the church where we spent 20 years - Calvary in Los Gatos. We continue to be blessed by the CHURCH at large through both individuals and local church communities. I am looking forward to hearing a song written by Josh Fox from Vintage Faith Church in Santa Cruz. The song he told me was inspired by Jacob's Journey. Amazing.


Romans 4:4-5
Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.
-> I keep coming back to this verse for a couple of reasons.

1. it is hard to not work and trust God to work things out

2. I am wicked. God justifies me. I cannot work out my justification. I cannot do enough to make up for my sins.

3. faith not works brings about justification.

4. My biggest duty right now is to help Jacob see and understand his own place of faith in this journey



So getting back to the question: How is Jake doing? Overall he is a little bit better each day - even if he does not see it, I see it. There are good moment and bad moments each day....just part of the roller coaster. He gets frustrated and depressed but each day is one of growth.


Love and peace


Tom (JK Daddy)

No comments: