Sunday, October 4, 2009

MRI tomorrow...peace, Lord

It was a true blessing to share a bit of Jacob's Story this morning at a church I served at for 5 years. It was a place that we went through our own journey as a church family. Facing challenges, moving through conflicts, making mistakes, growing in victories - all that community goes through - grows through. There is much that I miss there - the people. God will continue to bring lessons your way until you learn and grow and make the changes that he wants.

I have worn hearing aids since was about 20 - over half my life. I wonder sometimes what it would be like if my ears worked perfectly. What tones am I missing? How does volume change really sound without digital amplification and reduction? What am I missing? What am I hearing that is just wrong? I long to sit in a worship service and just hear how the sounds are really suppose to resonate.


We all have "selective" hearing and "impaired hearing" in listening to God. We have layers of conditioning and experiences over the years that filter His voice - assumptions, misunderstandings, errors, fears - things that alter the true message.

Ah to hear the pure, untainted sound of the Lord's voice.

John 10:25-30 (The Message)
Jesus answered, "I told you, but you don't believe. Everything I have done has been authorized by my Father, actions that speak louder than words. You don't believe because you're not my sheep. My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the Destroyer for good. No one can steal them from out of my hand. The Father who put them under my care is so much greater than the Destroyer and Thief. No one could ever get them away from him. I and the Father are one heart and mind."

Tomorrow is an MRI for Jake. Really not a huge deal in light of all else that he has been through and the extent of his injuries - surgeries to come. Yet it is the unknown - fear of the unknown - fear of not being able to do it - fear of what might happen. And so we pray that we might hear the voice of God - that we would recognize the voice of the Lord in the midst of your fear and simply follow him - trust him - joining the heart and mind of the Father and the Son by the presence of the Holy Spirit who is with us - with Jake.

In His presence.

Tom (Dad)

No comments: