Thursday, September 10, 2009

The phone call

8 am - I got a phone call - dazed and confused - drinking decaf - I grabbed the phone. It was Jake's cell phone - confused I answered - "Good morning Daddy. I miss you." And I thought a hug from Jacob was powerful - a phone call was crazy. It feels like pieces are being put back together - slowly, day by day, no more baby steps but giant leaps - at least for us - for Jake he wants to be back where he was before. Again each day we remind him that he is a miracle - that he is making huge steps.

When I finally got to the hospital he was sitting in a chair working with the therapists on rehabbing - games, writing, reading, speaking, etc etc. A family friend who works at the hospital brought in some strawberries from the farmers market that is in the courtyard every Thursday - Jake was in heaven - he at four strawberries. Another dear friend brought him some amazing strawberry ice cream - three bites - awesome. Then they brought him in some lunch...bunch of bites of spaghetti and fruit juice - mmmm good. For desert the hospital provided some vanilla pudding. The consistency and taste is not quite right for his mouth - Jake was a bit frustrated.

The great big news for today is that Jake told me with a big smile when I got there today: "I'm moving!" He is now out of ICU and on the "floor" in a regular hospital room with his own bathroom and shower. In the ICU pediatric they have this bazaar "hide-a-toilet". Literally the sink is on a hinge and moves out of the way to reveal a toilet - yeah not the biggest toilet you ever saw - remember we are in Pediatric ICU and Jake is over 6 foot.

Debbie and I met today with a team of people to help us figure out Jacob's health care needs as we move into the next phase - bringing him home and what care we will have to give him. There are a bunch of challenges ahead with our unique situation (i.e. where we live, health coverage limitations, Jake turns 18 next year). We are also at a point to start the conversation with school and starting to get him going on senior year.

All in all we are so very blessed. I can confidently tell Jacob that we will move through all of this with amazing support behind us. Debbie and I are able to be with him each day because so many have blessed us with support through this time. We are also seeing windows of opportunity to bless others as they are on their own journey's.

Jude 24-25
To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

Tom (Dad)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I (Linda Murphy West) am Debbie Kirkendall's sister (Jacob's aunt) and currently reside in southern California. I saw Jacob for the first time since his accident over this past Labor Day Weekend and After the surgery on his skull and I think he Looks SUPER considering the distance he has traveled these past several, painful weeks. Just the thought of how very far he has come sends the tears flowing down my face.

Cindy Todd said...

SO, SO exciting!!! Gives me chills! We Praise you God!!! Continuing to pray, Cindy

einbildungskraft said...

awesome, miraculous, divine
comforting, healing, beautiful
Yes, recovery! Not baby steps any more, but major strides!

Anonymous said...

every time I read that Jacob is AWAKE, I am so thankful because I remember the long weeks of waiting and praying that he would return to you. every time I hear that Jacob is having surgery for an external wound, I am thankful because I remember the many surgeries postponed in order to deal with a more urgent internal wound. every time that I read that Jacob is eating, I am thankful because I remember when he was covered in tubes and his only option was the brown goop. whenever I hear that Jacob is moving, smiling hugging, and communicating I am thankful because I remember when you could only do those things to him and long for him to respond.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me, bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy;
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's."
Psalm 103:1-5

Samaria said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

-c.childs

Jody said...

"Good morning, Daddy. I miss you". I'm crying, joyfully.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Goodness!!

The joy, the elation, the emotion we experience as we read the daily, like a freight-train healing progress that Jake is experiencing!! God and Jake are an unbelievably awesome healing team...and of course, all the medical, family and friends team members! All these weeks - even when Jake was 'sleeping' - to think of the hauling healing that has been going on....everyday hurdles and hurdles cleared and the next ones challenged. Relentless pursuit of healing.

God is so faithful, and He will continue see this healing story through to the final period. Awesome! Only believable because of God and His Love and Power! Encouraging! Divine!

We continue to pray for all of you. May God continue to fortify you all and give you the energy and flexibility to take on the next tasks. A continuing learning process and opportunity for growth. May God give you good rest (when you can grab it) and protect you, all the way home!

I just keep imagining Jake (and your family) at Thanksgiving this year! Pass the mashed potatoes and gravy please! Thanksgiving has already begun. What a bountiful harvest of healing and Love. May God continue to bless you all richly, deeply and beyond your dreams!

The Christensens

Anonymous said...

Wow, praise God! We have been out of town recently and to return to such great news-- what a blessing and answer to so many prayers! You are all continually in our prayers.

Love in Christ,

Rene Schlaepfer and family

Victoria said...

Rec'd email request to post from Carol:

Hi Tom,
What a gift from God!!!!! Amazing,Amazing!!!!!!

Blessings, Carol