Sunday, September 6, 2009

Loving the community.

So I am picturing a lot of smiles tonight as all who have joined this journey praise God for the jumps Jacob has made. The trach out of Jacob's throat and is replaced by bandages - smallest bandages yet. The vacuum bandage is off of Jacob's foot. When I got here today we were able to wheel him outside - only the 2nd time in 2+ months. Jacob's bandage changes use to take almost two hours with two people - now one person can do it in 2o minutes. His skin is healing so beautifully. The doctor looked at his skin and commented on how great the texture is - the color will come back over the next couple of years but the texture remains pretty much the same.
He is resting right now. Tired. When I got here I got my huge smile - big blue eyes. The swelling is down on his head - amazing surgical procedure that the muscle becomes a thin flap that covers his brain so the skin graft can hold - making way for the plate in a few weeks. Trach is out - swallowing breathing - food is soon to come - not the brown goop. We have a lot to celebrate. All of us - nurses, doctors, family, friends, and this whole praying community - from daily prayers to just one prayer - we are all a part of this. I really, really mean that. We are experiencing the church as the Apostle Paul intended it - community of love.
Q: How in the world do you feel close to a church of 3000?

A: Share your heart.

We had the privilege of sharing Jacob's Journey in the church services for Twin Lakes Church in Aptos. It is the church we settled into about a year and half ago as Jacob led us to their Genesis service. It is a smaller alternative service. The pastor of Genesis, Charlie Broxton, and I have become great friends. His message was also his heart's passion - that we do not simply "go" to church but that we "be" the church. Charlie asked us to share a bit about our journey. Debbie and I were able to be there together for the Saturday night service and then I went back this morning.

Sharing last night was amazing - not that we did great - we bumbled through it - what was great was the community. After we shared we sat down and really did not know what to think. We had shared our hearts and did not cry a bit - I think we were so focused on the miracles that we have seen - we just felt so blessed - like we were the richest people in the world. But sitting down at least for me was just a feeling - emptiness...wondering now what?

As congregation sang the song - a group of people just came up behind us and put a warm hand of love on our shoulders - not mauling - not overbearing - warm and light. We had never met - we both just wept together in the warm community. One was a fireman - It was just a feeling of community - a deep connection.

Then this morning I went back - in each of the two services my experience was different yet still there was community. Dear friends were there; old friends, new friends, meeting some of you who have been praying for us. Amazing blessing. We now have 400 people who have figured out how to join this blog - a lot more read it and keep telling me they check it daily or more. The power and blessing of community is incredible. This is the church - you are being the church to us.

The church is truly not something to go to - the church is the living body of Christ - the expression of the character of God - reaching out to those around us - impacting our world with the love of God. God is love and as we show off his love to others transformation happens - spiritual birth takes place - God is still creator - he is still creating new life - spiritual life - through the love of Christ. Transcending that which so easily keeps us apart and yet is truly so irrelevant - moving to unity. Unity is not conformity, nor is it unanimity; it is the blending of individual instruments to create a symphony. The music is loud and it is beautiful.

As we move out of this week - there are opportunities to reflect the love of Christ to others - people we meet - people we know - family, friends - and people we do not know. We have an opportunity to BE Christ to those we come in contact with. We have an opportunity to change the world - to BE the church. Perhaps that is a big part of what this journey is all about.

Loving the community

Tom (Dad)

4 comments:

Mari said...

Yay Jacob!!! Wow - trach out, vacuum bandage off, skin healing beautifully, swelling down, breathing & swallowing (visions of Betty's Burgers?:-), and a trip outside....what a day you have had! :-) God's love is so amazing! It is reaching out & touching thousands of people through you Jacob! And through the faithful sharing of your parents & brother even when their hearts are so heavy with intense love & concern for you! So happy for you today Jacob, and we won't stop praying for more miracles, giving God the glory, on your/our journey to recovery! We're here with you!!! Big smiles, love & hugs from the King fam :-)
PS. Hope the pics made you smile :-)

Bob Duffy said...

This morning I reached Ps.66:
"Bless our God, O peoples,
And sound His praise abroad,
Who keeps us in life,
And does not allow our feet to slip.
For Thou hast tried us, O God;
Thou hast refined us as silver is refined.
Thou didst bring us into the net;
Thou didst lay oppressive burden upon our loins.
Thou didst make men ride over our heads;
We went through fire and through water;
Yet Thou didst bring us out into a place of abundance.
I shall come into Thy house with burnt offerings;
I shall pay Thee my vows,
Which my lips uttered
And my mouth spoke when I was in distress.
I shall offer to Thee burnt offerings of fat beasts,
With the smoke of rams;
I shall make an offering of bulls with make goats.
Come and hear, all who fear God,
And I will tell of what He has done for my soul.
I cried to Him with my mouth,
And He was extolled with my tongue."
-the Duffys

Lynlee said...

Beautifully said - and exactly how my experience on this journey has been. The world is my church, God is the love I share. Much love to you all!

Victoria said...

Rec'd email request to post from Carol:

God, keep doing what only You can do!!!!!

Blessings, Carol