Thursday, September 17, 2009

Going Home (Brother's perspective)

I could not have picked a better weekend to be visiting home. I have been planning to fly up this weekend for at least a month... booked an early morning flight for Friday morning. And I already had in my head that whenever Jacob did go home, I would skip whatever I had to to come up and be with them in that transition. And now it's happening... and I am flying up already. What a blessing and a joy it will be to be with him in that time.

Speaking of blessing and joy... I will write more on this later, but wanted you all to know that it has been an absolute joy to hear my dad's stories of JACOB's faith in all of this. He is asking the tough questions that we have already asked (and haven't found answers for). He is mindful of God's presence. He is empathetic and compassionate toward others around him. As I write I begin to form tears again, because God is doing what I have been asking... working on his heart as he sleeps, preparing him for the next phase of the journey... but they are not tears of joy, they are tears of pain. Because I can see what pain he must go through because of this transformation. Why, God, was it necessary to take him down this path? Couldn't there have been a better way?

I will do the same thing as my dad, and take a passage of the Bible completely out of context to try and convey the idea of my brother's homecoming and what it means to me. It is about Jacob and Esau, two brothers. The last time they saw each other there was great animosity between them:

"Jacob sent messengers ahead of him to his brother Esau in the land of Seir, the country of Edom. He instructed them: "This is what you are to say to my master Esau: 'Your servant Jacob says, I have been staying with Laban and have remained there till now. I have cattle and donkeys, sheep and goats, menservants and maidservants. Now I am sending this message to my lord, that I may find favor in your eyes.' "

When the messengers returned to Jacob, they said, "We went to your brother Esau, and now he is coming to meet you, and four hundred men are with him."

In great fear and distress Jacob divided the people who were with him into two groups, and the flocks and herds and camels as well. He thought, "If Esau comes and attacks one group, the group that is left may escape."

Then Jacob prayed, "O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, O LORD, who said to me, 'Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,' I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups. Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.' "

Jacob looked up and there was Esau, coming with his four hundred men; so he divided the children among Leah, Rachel and the two maidservants. He put the maidservants and their children in front, Leah and her children next, and Rachel and Joseph in the rear. He himself went on ahead and bowed down to the ground seven times as he approached his brother. But Esau ran to meet Jacob and embraced him; he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept."


Robbie (Jacob's bro)



No comments: