Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Still stepping forward...

In case you missed the last blog Jake had a seizure at about 12:45 today.

I had been with Jensen this morning and was working on stuff at home so I got here at about 1pm. My dad and our friend Lisa were in the room at the time. Lisa immediately came out and got Debbie and then called me. Leading up to this was an incredible morning of huge steps. He had mom lay down with him on the bed to watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights. (Classic Kirkendall boy movie - not a Debbie movie.) Jacob actually scooted over and put a pillow on the bed for Debbie. Earlier in the morning he had called the nurse into the room by snapping his finger and motioning with his finger. He also sat up and they had him sitting in a special hospital chair. Perhaps it was too much too fast and his body just said, "no more, take it easy."

The blessing is that he is still responding to us since then. I came in just 15 minutes after the event and he turned toward me when he heard my voice. The neurologists came in to check him out and he responded to most of his commands - though extremely tired. Everything still seems to be going in the right direction.

Reminder to me - he is still critical - he does still have long road - desperately we still need prayer. I got a call from Aptos High today - they have to drop him from enrollment since he won't be there 10 days after school starts. We can re-enroll when he is able. I know there was no way he would have been able to be there by Friday - but this stabbed at me. Hope is a so much deeper than optimism - it is a fearful encounter stepping into the unknown - with faith that though the next step holds mystery - God is still there. Henri Nouwen stated, "...life is not a static given but a mystery which reveals itself in the ongoing encounter between man and his world." (Wounded Healer, p 75) The value of life is in the next moment not in the last moment. But in the last moment our encounter with the love of God strengthens our hope, our love.

Anger, sadness, fear punched me in the gut today at 1 o'clock. But life is still to come.

Love, Hope, Faith

Tom (Dad)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

With much love and missing all you kirkendalls. I just put a letter in the mail box today for jacob. im going to try and get all of his friends to send him tons of letters for him to read whenever he feels like it. prayers by the gazzilions.

Cindy Todd said...

Debbie...you rock! What a mom to cherish the time with her son while enduring the "boy movie"! I LOVE it! We will keep praying for healing and patience for Jake and all of you! It's so hard to be patient! Loving you all, Cindy

Ruby Denise Parton said...

"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
"I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you the best of care
if you'll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I'll give you a long life,
give you a long drink of salvation!"

Psalm 91

Toots said...

I have thought of Jacob each day as I drop my daughter off at Aptos high school.
As I watch kids go home after school laughing, joking, etc. I pray for Jacob to be well enough to come back and finish school with his friends. We are all praying for him!

Kara said...

Hey!! My name is Kara Risser. I did a math class with Judi Heher. She goes to your church and told us about Jacob and gave us your blog. I have been praying for him and your family. I'm glad that Jacob is making progress and will continue to pray for his recovery. "Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord" Psalms 31:24. May the hope of God continue to give you strength and peace for each day.

Debbie said...

Standing with you...ready to have faith and hope FOR you, I believe with you...that life, and life abundantly is still to come...

LOVE you all.

Mari said...

We're so sorry for the hard day after such a great weekend. Glad Jacob is ok & responding still...We will not stop praying for complete recovery! Just last week we agreed with friends to pray believing that Jacob will be able to enroll by 2nd semester and will somehow be able to catch up & graduate with his class. We've seen miracles already...why not this one!! We continue day & night holding you all up in love & prayer....

Anonymous said...

Jacob seems to be doing wonderfully well. I wonder if the stimulus of watching the video could have triggered the seizure? You are probably right, Tom. Maybe just a touch slower. How to slow down a dynamo like your fabulous Jacob? : )

Victoria said...

Rec'd email request to post from Carol:

Tom,
No matter what it looks like, "God is in control"! Your boy is totally on his way back. There will be set backs but he will continue to make progress. God is good and faithful all the time.
Blessings, Carol