Sunday, August 9, 2009

Reverent Submission

Somehow my Twitter update to my Facebook on Friday posted this morning on Sunday. I really am trying to be up to date on the technology but sometimes it is overwhelming. I am sure I did something wrong but it was still good information and is still true. Jacob is more intentional in his movements - many of them to get comfortable - scratch his nose - get the feeding tube out of his nose - adjust his position. He still wants to get out of bed and at one point last night just looked plain scared. That hit me pretty hard - we want so badly to save our children from harm, from fear, from tragedy. Yet reality is as we release responsibility to them as they show signs of handling it - there are dangers that we cannot control. Even the ones we think we control there are things that happen. And a parent's heart will never be the same. God's heart has an opportunity to flourish in times like these.

My time with God this morning brought me to Hebrews 5 and 6...
"During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and once made perfect he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him and was designated by God to be high priest int he order of Melchizedek." Heb 5:7-9

So as I read it earlier I was struck by the heart of Jesus going through what we are going through now - a high priest who knows our suffering and has cried tears of begging longing for another way, a change of course, rescue from the pain. Jesus has cried to God on his behalf and continues to cry to God on our behalf. He was heard because of his reverent submission.

I really need to spend more time in these verses but I am struck with God using this time to draw us back to reverence and surrender to God - a willingness to be open to correction, training, molding by God. The author of Hebrews then really zings me because I am having a hard time fully grasping my head and heart around this and thinking about where Jacob is right now.

verse 10...
"We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn."

Yeah, ouch.

He goes on to talk about milk and solid food as an analogy to our growth. It brings in that whole idea of training - trials and suffering bring growth and training as we respond in reverent submission - as we seek God, bearing our heart and soul and remain open to his leading, his teaching, his training in righteousness.

Honestly I react and say enough God - how can we go through any more - and yet God remains faithful, God remains good, God continues to draw us into himself though at times I fight and others I whimper we learn obedience in times like these.

Hear our cry, Lord.
Heal our son.
As you heard the cry of your son,
hear our our plea.
Teach us, mold us, shape us.
With each prayer, make us like you.

Love and Peace

Tom (Dad)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine how difficult it is to endure your pain each day. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Gina V
Morgan Hill

Anonymous said...

Tom - Once again you challenge me in ways I don't always want to be challenged. I'll have to take some time in this same passage. What a challenge.

I'm so happy to hear of Jake's progress, and yet I understand the drain that it is on you. Again you take me back to our journey during AJ's beginning. It was a long 117 days, but, like you, we found God's grace and faithfulness over and over again. We stll see it today.

Praying for rejuvinating and refreshing sleep, healing, and, most of all, His peace,
Christy

Victoria said...

Rec'd this email request to post from Carol:

Wow, God is awesome!!!!!!!!