Thursday, August 27, 2009

The joy of missing you...

I came into Jacob's room this morning after dropping Jensen off at school - feeling like we have somewhat of a schedule - but boy what an agonizingly long commute. When I was working out here this commute never felt so long. Debbie had called me and told me Jacob had said that he "missed me". He had told me that yesterday too - mouthed it. Today he is so much more able to actually allow me to hear it. Driving home last night I thought of the irony of that statement - he missed me - oh how I have missed Jacob - oh how WE have all missed Jacob. To have him so much closer to us - to have come so far back to us on this journey of his. Sometimes I get so focused on my part of this journey - ah but this is Jacob's journey - I have the privilege of joining him on it. It is so easy to focus on this being about me - it is so not about me. But getting back to me...

When I came into the room this morning Jacob was in process of moving from the bed to the chair. The physical therapist was here, Papa and Lala, our dear friend Lisa and Debbie (Da-Mom). He was standing - upright on his feet - boy he is tall - and I made a bee line for him and we were able to hug - tears of joy - smiling from ear to ear - all of us. There is joy in the journey - there is joy in missing you. Oh how we have missed you - oh how good it is each day to draw Jacob in - for his smile to draw us in. My 17 year old boy is coming back. He is able to talk to us - small conversations - short questions answered as he begins to understand how much he has missed - how much has gone on - how long he has been asleep. He honestly lights up the room with he eyes and smile when someone comes into the room.

The Occupational Therapist gave him blue ice chips this morning. The idea is to test if things are going down the right tube so that they can start introducing food and liquid through his mouth. Wow - very cool. The trach will stay in until the next major surgery but he can begin talking and swallowing even before the trach is out. The doctor came in and asked him some questions: "what day is it?" Jake answered, "Thursday." "What time is it?" Jake found the clock. "11:00." Is it day or night? "Night." Hmm...open the blinds more. "Day". Who is this guy here? "My dad." Jake had told Debbie earlier to "put on his foot." And then laughed at himself when she said "you mean sock?"

Though the journey seems so long and impossible
though in this journey we have known excruciating pain
though at times we gave up and could not go on
we are entering a time of joy - joy in missing you

There will be more days of sorrow ahead
more moments of excruciating pain
times we will give up - and dread the next step
yet we will find more joy in the journey - joy in missing you.

to be continued...

Tom (Dad)

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith - of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire - may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." 1 Peter 1:6-7

12 comments:

John Hixson said...

"In this your greatly rejoice..." and so do I! As a daily reader of your blog, Tom, I am so grateful to God for where He's brought Jacob: to be able to stand, to see, to speak, to recognize his family. No, the story's not over, but I've often thought about how God planned a 9-month growth time for unborn children - - and how He may be allowing a shorter growth time for Jacob's recovery. I'll continue with daily & nightly prayers for you all.
Love & blessings from Judy Hixson

design one e said...

Jacob is oriented times THREE!!! hooray! God is blessing the Kirkendalls. Keep up the good work everyone. God bless the K family.

Anonymous said...

Hearing of Jakes progress, smiling and whispering makes me feel so happy. I am an outsider, who wishes I was right there for all of this love and joy.

The Griffin Family said...

So encouraging! Great to hear how awesome Jacob is doing!

Susie Boggs said...

What a GREAT day !!

Victoria said...

Rec'd email request to post from Carol:

Amen and amen!!! Rejoice with singing, dancing and shouting!!!!

Blessings,Carol

Heidi said...

Rejoicing and praising God for the progress that Jacob has had. I am so thankful that he can now communicate with you and express himself more. Praying for the upcoming surgery. :)

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Go, go, go, Jake!
You've come a long way and you've a long way to go.
But then, don't we all? We just don't realize it as clearly.

Praise YOU, Lord, for hearing our cries for Jacob and his family. Keep holding them tight in Your arms.

Love, Ginger R.

Anonymous said...

It's so exciting to hear Jacob's progress! My tears are truly joy now...joy for him, but immense joy for you...Tom and Debbie...as you have waited long for this part of the journey to happen. Please give Jacob a hug for us...I wish we could witness his miracles now. Tell him that we love him from Idaho and that our friends and church up here are praying for him and cheering him on! Tell him he can come visit the mountains when he's ready!
Love,
Jessicah Travis

Anonymous said...

Never give up!
Jacob, your journey is so amazing.
Jacob, your family is so amazing... I am encouraged every day by the love that is shown.

It makes me thank God every day for the fortune that I have in my family. And also thank God for the gift your family has given so many... the gift of HOPE!
An SLV Mom

Bob Duffy said...

Was that a typo, or did I really read "He was standing - upright on his feet - smiling from ear to ear" and "He is able to talk to us - small conversations - short questions answered"? Is this the same young man of whom we heard only weeks ago "we hope he opens his eyes"?

This must be the work of whom it is written in Ps. 47:
"O clap your hands, all peoples;
Shout to God with the voice of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared,
A great King over all the earth.
He subdues peoples under us,
And nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,
The glory of Jacob who He loves.
God has ascended with a shout,
The Lord, with the sound of a trumpet.
Sing praises to God, sing praises.
For God is the Kind of all the earth;
Sing praises with a skillful psalm."

Praying, rejoicing, and giving Him all the glory,
-the Duffys

FROG4U said...

What an amazing Praise for you all. I can't stop weeping in Joy for the progress and the hope of more progress. The excitement in my heart at the thought of you being able to communcate and that Jacob is understanding. God is GREAT and Greatly to be Praised. I continue prayer for complete healing and restoration both physically and spiritually and mentally. I pray for rest for you all. My heart sings for you all.
BLessings