Friday, July 31, 2009

Slowing Down

Friday night and we actually left the hospital a little earlier than normal. Jake was resting when we left. He was thrashing so much today that there was concern that he would hurt himself. So instead of continuing to continue the same momentum it was determined that things need to slow down more. So they are upping some meds to allow Jacob to wake up slower...this is not a set-back it is part of the balancing act to keep his body in the proper threshold. I was able to trim his left hand fingernails tonight. That is the one thing the nurses cannot do. But we can. His index finger was very damaged just a week ago - looked so much better. In fact his left hand is healing so nicely. He was so peaceful and handsome when we left.

I have been reading through the comments on the blog and am in awe of what God is doing. Stories that are encouraging me and stories of the community being encouraged. I think it is amazing to see that we are not alone in our struggles - that we each have them - no one is perfect - no one is without heartache. The pressure we put on ourselves is enormous - trying to figure out what we need to change to get different results. There is a Larry Crabb book I have read a couple of times now. A friend gave it to me and I realized I had already read it a couple of years earlier. It is called The Pressures Off. I highly recommend it. I am not going to try to summarize it here but it really helps to explain this modern fundamental pressure that we put forth and how to modify that perspective. How quickly we fall away from grace and freedom to rules and expectations.

Galatians 5:6b says "the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself in love." The only thing. Not anything else that we think is so important... it is not going to church that counts the most it is how come from church. It is not about gathering together to be pious but being at work, school, play with faith that expresses itself in love. Honestly I do not know that we could do that in the midst of this time with Jacob without those around us that are demonstrating their faith to us through love. The pouring out is amazing.

Tonight Jacob's friends put together a silent-auction. These are students - amazing, loving, do-not-dare-look-down-on-them-because-they-are-young, teenagers. Totally amazing. Just think what God is preparing for them to do next. Maybe not bigger, maybe not better, maybe just one more opportunity to demonstrate their faith in love. Faith is being demonstrated by the works they perform. The Kingdom of God on display through children - sounds ridiculous - doesn't it? What if God started a transformation and it came through a handful of students that just wanted to show their faith by the love in their hearts.

That is my prayer tonight. Of course I am still praying for Jacob but most of the day I have been thanking God for Jacob's friends and tonight I am challenged to pray for what they will do...faith in love. God is already in their midst using them for declaring His glory.

This all to say

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your son...I pray each day for him and his loved ones...May he continue to be strong, all of you. your all in my prayers..
bless'
aptos neighbor