Sunday, July 5, 2009

Prayers for rest...

We all need rest. All of us (addressed to all of you). We need to rest in God's love. Trust in his healing power. Petition for miracles, glimpses of the divine invasion into our bodies, the surgical removal of unholiness.
Jacob is recovering and resting from his surgery today. The nurses in the Burn Unit are a bit concerned for his high blood pressure, although he did just have all of his dressings changed, and he hates that. Typically his BP and heart rate go up after that happens. But please pray that his BP will stabilize, that tomorrow would be a day of rest (for all of us...?) and that he would be fully prepared for the next operation. Again, either human or divine.
My mom is having a hard time leaving tonight because of the high blood pressure. Also I think the reality of how long a haul this will be is setting in. Pray that my parents would entrust Jacob's body and spirit into the loving arms of the Father.

In about 30 minutes from now it will be a week since my parents and I got the phone call from Rachel at our house. Almost a full week in the Burn Unit with Jacob in deep narcotic and paralytic state.

Today is Sunday. Our "Christian Sabbath."
Especially now, and even a lot before this week, I have thought a lot about community. What it means to truly engage the body of Christ. I would like you all to do the same. Evaluate what it means to truly be the Body of Christ. This goes so far beyond going to a "church building" on a Sunday. If anything, I am wondering if our "Christian Sabbath," our day devoted to the Lord, should be a day devoted to what Christ called us to do. And is that not to love, to reach out to the broken, to turn the other cheek, to serve, to be self-sacrificing?
So true Christian community should be what we are constantly engaged in. What we are saturated in, and integrated into that is constantly breaking our boundaries to show others what true love is: a love that would die.
I am truly seeing this body, this constant community, from all of you. A lot of little things that add up. A lot of encouragement, and a whole lot of love. Existence in the presence of God.

Good night.


-Robbie

1 comment:

Casey Travis said...

I'm so proud of who you are Robbie. The evidence of God's love in your life can't be missed. You are truly covered in the Dust of Your Rabi. You have given me something more to strive for in my relationship with my God. You are teaching us daily what it is to be grown, discipled, matured, loved, healed, and held in the arms and life of Christ. I'm honored to know you and call you my friend. Thank you for letting us all watch what God is doing in you and through you.
Jessicah Travis