Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Praise for stability...

"So then,
just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord,
continue to live in him,
rooted and built up in him,
strengthened in the faith as you were taught,
and overflowing with thankfulness."
Col 2:6-7

Jacob is still on the schedule for surgery tomorrow. As we sit here on Wednesday evening, we are so thankful for a stable day. That is what we have all been hoping and praying for - so many prayers - so many encouragments. Though Debbie and I are both tired, we are...not sure what word to use...thankful, content, hopeful.... What a contrast from yesterday which began so hopeful and then digressed into a gray fog.

Baby steps forward - God is working. Your continued, ceaseless prayers are so amazing. The community around us, our families and the nurses and doctors are such a blessing.
Jacob's vital signs have been consistent. He has moved from 100% dependence on oxygen to under 50%. His blood pressure remains consistent as well. This is so important for Jacob to get into surgery to do more debridement (removal of dead skin). They are trying to wean him off of the paralytic medicine and increasing the pain medication. The body gets use to the paralytic meds which means they need to increase it over time to keep his limbs immobile. Pray that remains peaceful and stable. That he does not flail his arms and head around needing to increase the paralytic meds.

In the midst of this 9 day roller coaster (or has it been 10), we have moved back and forth through so many emotions. I have cried out in anger, fear, confusion, pleading to God for some sort of mercy - a little ray of hope. We have rejoiced, laughed, teased, and cried. Up and down - despair - hope - anxiety - guilt. Day by day; hour by hour. Not sure if we should plan appointments for tomorrow because we do not know where the roller coaster will take us. And yet...

Each step of the way, God has not abandoned us but continues to guide and strengthen us for this ride. With each step of the way He is there and is placing amazing people around us and directly in our path. In our weakness we are strengthened.

Philippians 2 has always blown me away. Here is a portion of it.
If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

I have never ever read that verse with such a realization of the power of community that God brings around giving strength to trudge through this tragedy one step at a time.

On June 22nd I wrote this in my journal: "Today O, Lord take me as I am. I humble myself before you and I seek the path of faith which is expressed in your love, your power, your hope. Produce in me fruit that reflects all that is you: love, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." I see this being demonstrated right before my eyes. What would the Church be like if we were truly demonstrating the character of Christ.
Please pray for continued stability of his breathing - healing to his lungs - and a peaceful night for Jacob. Pray that we continue to trust and hope and place our faith in God and demonstrate a character like Christ.
Love and peace
Tom

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Rejoicing with you that Jacob had a stable day. I watched some rollercoasters at an amusement park today and thought of your family and how you describe this journey as a rollercoaster. Continuing to pray for you through the ups and downs, turns and twists ...all the way.
Heidi Mackie :)

William said...

As a parent of young adult sons, my heart and prayers are with you. Your strength in your faith is inspirational. You are in my prayers during the day and every night. I pray that Jacob heals and that your wonderful family is buoyed by the spiritual support you receive. I am a local teacher in the Aptos area - if there is anything you need or any help I can give you - even a meal, please contact me at tisriley@aol.com.