Thursday, July 23, 2009

Peace in the midst of fire

"You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being." Rev 4:11


Jacob is out of surgery and the doctor said that it went well. Where do I start?

I am having a hard time because I am overwhelmed by the multiple tragic wounds on his body. As they wheeled him back into the burn unit from surgery I saw my son laying curled and shaking on the bed. I also for the first time saw his head wound - so much greater than I had thought. Debbie has seen the wound before - since they had cut away the damaged skin from his scalp. The last time I had seen it was in the emergency room on the first night. I had pictured it being about the size of a silver dollar and the exposed bone about the size of a quarter. It is much much greater than that. Debbie said that I did not even see all of it.

Okay moving on from that - the surgery was a great success. They were able to put the trach in and remove the breathing tube. The great thing about this is the process of waking him up and seeing how he responds and how his body reacts without the invasiveness of the tube. The doctor said that boys especially tend to fight and hit and try to run out of bed as they continue to come off the medication. Since the trach is now in they can bring him down slower and will not be concerned about the invasive breathing tube.

They cleaned up the wounds and did grafting on his arm/side and rear. They were also able to do a graft on his back side with a Vacuum Assisted Closure (V.A.C) which helps the wound to heal faster and cleaner. The doctor said that Jacob has had every type of burn wounding bandaging that they do. Oh yea...way to go Jacob.

So, in the midst of this trial...this great pain, though we hurt and hate all of this, there is peace. I memorized this verse (tried to) on our way to Africa almost 15 years ago. I printed it out and kept it close knowing God has not abandoned...

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

Love and Peace - Tom (Dad)

7 comments:

John Hixson said...

Oh, Tom, how much I appreciate your details about Jacob's progress/problems. This helps me to pray specifically for him. And how interesting that you quoted Psalm 121, for in Ketchum, Idaho, where I've been visiting a ladies' Bible Study (& they're all praying for Jacob) we've been assigned to memorize Psalm 121. And,
we wonder why Jacob suffered when the Psalm says "The LORD will keep you from all harm", but we know that "the LORD will watch over your coming & going both now and forevery more." You & he & all your family are NEVER alone! The LORD watches over you! . . . . . blessings from Judy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!! Now eat and sleep - all of you! See Jacob in the morning with fresh eyes and spirits!

donnamaher said...

Oh my gosh. I find myself just waiting for more news on how your fighting boy is doing. I am so glad that he is out of surgery and all went well. I pray for the day he awakes and can't imagine what you are going through waiting for that time to happen. Although in the midst of his pain, it is probably good he is asleep, I can only imagine how good it will be to look into his eyes to let him know how much you love him and to tell him that you have and will fight with him every step of the way.
I want you to know how much the time you have taken to blog your way through this journey has meant to me. I love and appreciate my kids all the more, I pray more often, I think of others more ofter, I am thankful for little problems, I am able to share my faith with more ease, and I am truly blessed by your love and devotion to God and your son.
Keep on keeping on. As you know, you are not alone in your journey.

californiakelleys said...

So thankful surgery went well. And thankful for the comfort of God's word. Where would any of us be without it. Thankful for the great concert last night. Praying for continued healing. You all are loved so much -- so much more by our God.
Hugs, Kim

Jason Williams said...

Tom K,
Your praise to God is pure and priceless.
Thank you for showing us how to exalt his name together,
Psalm 34:1-4.

Jason W

sanford said...

Hey Guys,

Sanford here (sorry 'Sam' from LP&C days ;) ), I was just reading Spurgeon's Morning & Evening devotional for this morning and I thought of you. I can't copy it into this post for some reason but here's the link:


http://blueletterbible.org/devotionals/me/view.cfm?Date=07/24&Time=am

The reference to Exodus 14:13 and 'standing still and seeing the salvation of the Lord', is of course when the Israelites were stuck in front of the Red Sea with the Egyptians closing in!

May the Lord strengthen you all in your standing still!

Love you guys,

Sanford

Megan said...

Tom,
I can't believe you posted that verse today! Everyday in the car myself and my two little boys (3 and 10 months) pray for Jacob and your family. After we pray I turn on "Praise you in this storm" by Mercy Me (that verse is quoted in the song!). It reminds me that in the midst of pain we can praise God and still bring glory to His kingdom. I can't begin to tell you what in inspiration you and your family are and continue to be.
Thank you.

-Megan