Sunday, July 5, 2009

One Week

Good Morning -

Debbie and I both woke around 6 - she left for the hospital I am here with Rob and Jensen who are still asleep. Debbie called about 40 minutes ago and said that we are still waiting to hear what time Jake's surgery will be today. He had an okay night - they were changing his bandages and bedding. He still fights them - does not like the intrusion. We all love hearing the nurses tell us how strong he is and that is so good for what is ahead of him.

I can't believe that tonight it will be a week since we got the phone call from Rachel calling us down the hill.

I was thinking about many of you going to church this morning and that in your hearts you will be praying for Jacob. There is something so amazingly comforting to me about so many joining this journey with us. We have incredible family who are surrounding us and supporting us; incredible friends, watching waiting, ready at a moments notice to jump in and help; and so many others who are focused prayerful caring for my son. So truly humbling.

This is the first verse I read this morning: "...the Lord has said that He would dwell in a dark cloud." 2 Chron 6:1 Solomon said that as they were finishing and dedicating the temple.

Then I read, "And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Phil 4:19 Paul wrote this from prison. (Check out Phil 1:9-11 too.)

Then God set this before me...
Ps 30:8
To you, O Lord, I cried for mercy;
what gain is there in my destruction,
in my going down into the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me;
O Lord, be my help.
You turned my wailing into dancing;
You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.


There are more cries for mercy to come - hardship, confusion, anger, joy. In the darkness of the cloud God is right there. When Solomon was finished dedicating the temple the glory of the Lord filled the temple - to the point that the priests could not enter the temple. "When all the Israelites saw the fire coming down and the glory of the Lord above the temple, they knelt on the pavement with their faces to the ground, and they worshiped and gave thanks to the Lord, saying: 'He is good; his love endures forever.'" (see 2 Chron 7:1-3)

God is good in the midst of trial as well as triumph.

More to come...

Jacob's Daddy

3 comments:

Brett Thornhill said...

Tom...I cry almost every time I read this blog. and submit myself to deeper prayer. I love you guys so much.

In my prayer journal yesterday...
"Even when I'm all alone, I will believe" - Mainstay, Believe
Don't let the Kirkendall family feel alone, Lord. In the low points, let them remember the hundreds of people rooting for them, praying fervently and wanting to do anything for them. Thank you, Lord, for this opportunity for your people to come together as a body. To show the love you have given us and support one another. Lord, let us grow as individual people through our consistent prayers as well. We learn to be in constant communion with you when there is needed urgent communication...but do not let it drop off as you heal Jacob. Grow our hearts to love you more and see your worth and how much you desire us like this all the time and not just through the shadow of death. Grow every one of the people praying for Jacob in intimacy with you, God. For those with faith in prayer, and those without faith in prayer. Show us who you are, Lord.
Show us the great healer. God, we know and fear that great things come from death. But Jesus, you spent your life healing. We know Jake will be in heaven with you, but we don't want that. And knowing your heart, Jesus, I don't think you want that right now either. I thinki of your friend Lazarus. We don't understand why the plan was to let him die, but in knowing he was dead, knowing the pain and confusion of his sisters, your dear friends, you wept. And Jesus, I believe you weep over the struggle of Jacob for his life. I believe you feel our pain and our longing for his healing, and I believen when we cry for Jacob you cry with us. You are powerful and wise. You can get glory either way, and we beg your heart to show your glory through Jakes healing and his life. His sense of humor and his love of surfing."

Amen. I love you, Kirkendalls!
Ali

Victoria said...

Emailed to me this morning from Carol:
Please keep me informed. Gosh, God is so amazing!! Never thought that Jacob's parents can't even hug him to reassure him that it will all be okay. It's a good thing that our heavenly Father is able to hold him, kiss him and reassure him. God give his parents the strength to continue on with Your Joy and most of all with Your Peace. Your Peace is so amazing and there's nothing like it. May this whole family be transformed and brought closer to You. Make them a testimony of Your Goodness and Faithfulness!! Holy Spirit give them the faith to believe against all odds the miracles that lay ahead of them. I don't even know this young man or his family and yet I know You are with them. I can't help to pray for them cause I know how You can heal and how You DO Miracles in these days. Come and do only what You can do and show Yourself mighty in their lives. May the banner over them always say of Your Love, Faithfulness and Mercy in their lives. Show the world and this community what an awesome God You truly are. To God be the glory now and forever!!!!! Blessings, Carol.

Noree said...

Praying for another successful surgery today, Tommy (yes, I still refer to you as Tommy...)
So many prayers from family, friends, and those who don't know you, but know of our Lord's love and strength.
I my heart~every minute.
Noree