Sunday, July 19, 2009

more baby steps

Roller Coaster - we heard it from day one - this is going to be a roller coaster ride. I definitly had it today.

Last night we had a youth ministry reunion with over 100 people in attendance. Very cool to see people that were impacted from a ministry 20-30 years ago. My sister Kirky went with me and we snuck in late and left a little early. So many people I wanted to see and hear about their lives - so overwhelming because there is so much focus on what we are going through and where Jacob is right now. Blessing for so much love and caring and so many people I was not able to talk to. I was just so exhausted.

This morning They took a CAT-scan this afternoon and I was able to talk to the doctor afterward about that and the tracheoctomy. They were able to confirm at this point there is no bleeding or further damage to brain. They found one small dot of grey at the injury point but they do not feel it is significant. As far as the tracheoctomy I grabbed a better understandng as to how this does move us forward in healing and takes pressure off of his throat and vocal cords and allows them to get the tube out. Later there will be a small scar on his neck - which of course Jake will wish was bigger.

Though difficult and frstrating this all is - and learning patience is a whole new level - we are seeing impprovement. Jake is moving along and healing.

Specific prayers: that they will be able to take the tube out before they need to do the tracheoctomy. Continued healing on his burn areas and will save his thumb. Those are the miracles I am praying for and I know that you will pray along with me. Arm is seeming to be better - let's save the thumb Lord!

I was reminded by friends today about the miracles thus far - the grace that is being poured out and the stories of God doing amazing things in the lives of people through Jacob's Journey.

At the reunion last night, our friend Bob played and old song that we use to sing and it comes right from Philippians 2. Listening to it in lift of this journey shines a whole new light on these verses.

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

In the midst of the this journey there is amazing unity, tender-compassion, etc etc etc. There is so much in those verses that speak loudly about what we are seeing. I am sure that you are seeing even more. This is the attitude that Christ calls us to and that we can take out and affect our community. What would it be like if we started treating people around us as though they were already forgiven? Christ died for us not while we were perfect but while we were sinning - blowing it big time. Instead of always having to act superior and always being right that we would be like Christ and forgivce.

Ending week #3 - not stronger - actually more broken - more opportunity to be restored.

Love, peace and grace

Tom

5 comments:

Bob Duffy said...

That is SO encouraging: no bleeding or further damage to Jacob's brain! We lift all the glory and praise to God for yet another miracle and clear sign that He is continuing to watch over Jake.
Continuing to pray, especially now for patience.
-the Duffys

FROG4U said...

I pray now for healing so that the tube will be able to be removed and there will be no need for a tracheotomy. I pray that there will be no damage to any part of the brain. I pray for peace and rest for the family. I pray especially for peace for Jacob that any pain he might be experiencing will be minimal if at all. I pray for continued miracles for him and all that are involved. I pray that this journey will be more than just about Jacob and his recovery but about the heart of the Father and the Glory of the Lord. I see so much of the Father in the posts and it is so encouraging to me. I find myself looking forward to reading the updates. Thank you all for being soopen and vulnerable. it truly is a blessing. Peace to you all. Laura

Baylee said...

you are an amazing family. Your strength and faith are inspiring. I pray for you, for Jake, for everyone affected. love and prayers- Baylee (Young) Norman (Hunter's oldest sister)

Sharon Shenk said...

The first thing I do each morning and the last at night: visit this blogsite to find what God has done, is doing and what we will all pray for your family. Instead, I leave with a new reminder that God is at work ALL the time, that God is all-powerful, all-compassionate, all-good, all-Father and All-Mighty. Your journey has changed my prayer life and the way I seek to be more Christ-like - the way I am with others, with myself and with my Lord.
You have a mighty cloud of witnesses, both in this world and the next, who are standing on the sidelines, fervently cheering you on and wanting to lift you should you fall.
As the mom of four sons, I cannot imagine . . . but my heart breaks for Debbie.
May God allow us to meet all 5 of you some day. In the meanwhile, you are in our hearts.
Sheri and John Shenk

Joy said...

Such good/bad news! I praise God that Jacob is still with us but I wish my arms were long enough to wrap you in them and give you some comfort. It breaks my heart to see all of you suffering so much but God is there and so are all of us..on this Jacob Journey with you.

All my love.