Monday, July 27, 2009

The eyes have it...

First, I thought I would share some picture of some of the people we are thankful for and cannot even begin to thank. I met the fireman who saved my son at the benefit and was totally without anything to say...all are hero's in my heart.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 10 am this morning Jacob opened his eyes when we asked him to - again at 1 pm he did the same. Waking up from this drug-induced coma is not like the movies - it takes a long time for the fog to clear. His eyes though looking dazed and distant were looking at me. He actually seemed to calm a bit too. Maybe my wishful thinking but it made my heart so glad. As he rouses and as he moves in pain, we remind him over and over again that he was in an accident, it was not his fault, he is getting better, he is safe. We try to soothe him so as not to fight and get out of bed. He almost shoved me across the room and he actually started sliding out of bed. He is dazed and confused but he is coming around.

So they are right now getting him ready for an MRI and changing his dressing. For this they raise the sedation and will have to keep him still for the MRI. I have had MRI's it is not easy - especially when laying in that position causes pain. Part of the pain is from where they removed skin from his leg for the grafts. There will be more... but for today...the eyes have it.


Love and Peace


Tom (Dad)






12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,
We are excited that Jacob is starting to open his eyes. I know you have all waited for this for a long time, and it's a definite landmark. No matter how much of a fog he's in it has to be comforting in the midst of the confusion to know that you are with him. Even though you want him to be calm, it's neat to know that Jacob the fighter is in there. Much love and prayers. Suzanne Toombs Mallery

Joslin3 said...

I have tears of joy, I cannot imagine how wonderful it felt to see his eyes! We're praying Tom!

Noree said...

Tommy and family~
What joy to read this latest blog...seeing your son beginning to repond as we comes out of this long "fog"...Hallelujah!
We continue to pray.
Love to you all,
Bless, bless, bless~
Noree and family

Cindy Todd said...

Thank you Jesus...I have been praying he would wake up before Robbie has to return to Biola. This makes me want to cry happy tears. Please continue to wake him Lord! Love you guys!

Mari said...

This news brought us to tears too! What an answer to prayer!!! And we're so glad that the first people he saw were you, his parents, who's loving words could immediately comfort him even thru the fog and confusion and fight. We will be praying for peace for Jacob thru the MRI and the next steps ahead. We rejoice for your glad hearts! Much love to you all from the King family

FROG4U said...

I am so excited to hear the news of him opening his eyes. it is most definitely a blessing. I continue to pray for rest and healing. I pray that the Lord will continue to wrap his arms around you all and give you comfort and rest. I pray that the Doctors would continue to do what is needed and know what that is. I pray that Jacob will continue to awaken and become more alert and continue to fight. Praise God for all he has done so far.

Carolyn =^..^= said...

I rejoice with you that Jacob opened his eyes - the prayers through this journey continue. My women's Bible study group (Calvary Chapel, Fernley, NV) is praying now for Jacob, the family, and the doctors.

Donna said...

This is wonderful, praise God.

Anonymous said...

my heart just leaped a million times!!! And my ears full of tears...happy ones! Praise God for His faithfulness!! Praise Praise Praise God!! We love you guys!!
Jess Travis

Casey Travis said...

PRAISE GOD! PRAISE GOD! PRAISE GOD!!!!

We love you all so much!

Casey Travis said...

...and Jess meant 'eyes'. :)

Tom Kirkendall said...

Oh Jess - drain your ears...