Friday, July 31, 2009

The Centurion

Debbie Just left for the hospital. She had written this out last Monday and asked me to post it. I admit I did not do it. Debbie writes it out and I have to type it in - not much for dictation. So the below is from Monday - a long day for me - MRI, EEG, etc. As she left this morning she told me that this one was important to her so I need to post it - word for word - there is a lot that can be said in this but this is right from her heart so I will not comment...

-----------
I am pretending to go "off planet" today. I dropped Tom off at the hospital a while ago and will be taking Jensen to meet friends for a day at the Boardwalk. So much of me cannot believe I am "abandoning" Jacob. (this was the day he was getting is MRI.)

I am here in the hotel bathroom in Campbell letting Jensen sleep-in, knowing that at 12 years of age he is too big for me to hold in my lap - I confessed that when he's with us over this past month and I wake early to go to hospital, I kiss his little (big!) bare feet from the blanket. He gets totally grossed out. He's a "bright light" through all of this - being so loved and welcdomed by friends and family and most of all he's being given "fun" things to do. He is also so very accomodating in his personality that if he does even request something we want to listen wit hour hearts. Tom said it first and I am trying to tell myself over and over that it's time for me to be with Jensen - it is good for me to be with Jensen - he brings such joy.

Tjhe other day the Bible part came to me about the Centurion and Jesus - it has been flowing on my brain and heart as I wait for Jensen to wake so we can get moving (of course as is normal I am not even showered and ready yet and our McD's bkfst is getting cold - I have been married 24 years and still don't do dinners (poor Tom) - back to the Bible part. It took me 10 minutes but I found it: Matthew 8:5-13...

"When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to Him, appealing to Him, "Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly." And Jesus said to him, "I will come and heal him." But the centurion replied, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man under authority with soldiers under me and I so to one, "go" and he goes and to another, "come" and he comes, and to my servant "do this," and he does it."

When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, "truly, I tell you, with no one in Isael have I found such faith....and Jesus said to the centurion, "go, let it be done for you as you have believed."

nuff said - "I release Jake to you today God."

D-mom

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Amen and amen! It is such a blessing to know deep in our hearts that everyone who loves Jacob could vanish in an instant and God would still pursue Jacob and love him through this. Praise God that he is giving you day by day insight into how to put feet to faith as you endure. I pray that God will fill you full of moments together of joy even while in the middle of this journey. God, thank you for your persistent care!

Victoria said...

Rec'd this email from Susan to post:

As I read all these blogs and daily reports I am very impressed on how evident the strength and Shalom peace of the Lord is present in the hearts and lives of the family. It is also ministering to me. The passage about the Centurion is very encouraging and I pray that as the Lord continues to be in the center of this situation. Jacob's healing will progress more and more each day. Let the healing angels surround him.... Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

Dear Jacob's family. I heard about Jacob from good friends of ours, Rita and Daryl. My husband and I lived in San Jose for 2 years about 25 yrs ago, and the 2.nd day we were there (we had just come from Norway) we had a car accident. Our car caught fire and I suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my face, arms and hands. I initially had 3 surgeies (skin grafts) and later 3 more with intervals. We didn't know anybody in the area at the time, but people (including and especially the Lee's) "took us in" and treated us as family. The way that happened was like a miracle (my father, in his desperation, called a friend in Mukilteo, and asked if he by any chance knes someone in the Bay Area. It turned out that he had two sisters in Los Gatos!) THere was also a small piece about us in the paper). Lots of people wanted to come to visit us or invited us to their homes (once we were discharged), we got loads of mail ( a distant relative had notified all people in the Us that he knew were in some way related to us), a school class "adopted us" and sent us letters and drawings (we later visited them at their school). All in all, things happened in a way that couldn't possibly have been coincidents. Someone, God,I believe, was looking out for us. All these people made a world of a difference to us in our rather difficult situation. In the beginning I couldn't see (I was so swollen) or talk (tube), but the people working in the Santa Clara Burn unit were fantastic, talked to me, massaged my feet (heaven!!) and made efforts to understand what I was "saying" through "banging" the alphabet with my bandaged hands on the bed. We actually made jokes that way:-)To cut a long story short, after 2 years of reconstructive surgeries and a lot of exercises to get the mobility of my joints back, we went home. My face will always look different, but I from the very beginning decided that it shouldn't prevent me from living my life as I wanted, and it never has.The first time people meet me they notice I look different, but once they realize I don't make anything of it, they don't either and actually soon forget. We now have 3 lovely kids, 14, 18 and 19. I am writing this, hopefully to give you hope, but most of all to show my support and ensure you that I will pray for Jacob. He is young, which is good, it's amazing what the body can do/cope with. From the photoes he looks like a boy with great spirits, that will help him too. Even though I have been "there" in a way, I can only begin to understand what it must be like to be a parent in such a situation. You sound positive, recourseful and constructive in what you say, think and do. I send you lots of positiv vibrations and much love from Trondeim, Norway.
Astrid
If you should want my e-mail address it can be had from Rita and Daryl

Victoria said...

I rec'd this email request to post:

Wow!! My heart breaks and yet rejoices with you Debbie. How hard it is to see your son in so much pain and there is no comforting that you can do as his mother. Glad that you are taking time out here and there to spend time with your other sons. It's important to continue living and at the same time it helps you to get a better view of everything.

God is so working. He works when even it doesn't look like it. I'm glad that Jacob is responding to you even if it's every other day. He is responding. I pray that God will help him to continue breathing on his own, continue to heal his brain, arm, hand, feet, back and that He would cause the fevers to stop once and for all.

I'm sure there will be days ahead that you will be able to look back and see God's hand at work. May God continue this great work that He is doing in all of you. May Jacob tell you things that God spoke to him during this time. God is amazing, wonderful, and so full of love!
Blessings, Carol