Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Breathing the breath

We let Jacob last night at about 10:45. At that time he had been breathing completely on his own for 3 hours. Minnie, his nurse, said she thought that she would leave him on for about 15 more minutes and was quite pleased with Jake's progress. He had earlier been on his own for an hour. Debbie called me a little while ago and said that he actually made it most of the night breathing on his own. Can I say it just a little louder? "BREATHING ON HIS OWN."

I put a link last night on the side bar of this blog to an on line Bible program and also to the Bible reading plan that our church community is diving in together with that takes us through God's Word in one year. This morning it is Job 1-3. I wrote these verses in my personal journal:
Job 1:20-22
"At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head.
Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
may the name of the Lord be praised."
In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrong doing."

Matt Redman wrote the song Blessed Be Your Name which has been a continual source of encouragement over the last 5 years through hills and valleys. It is a very appropriate prayer.

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name
Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name
Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name
Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name
You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

I share this with all of you this morning because one of the continual things I struggle with is that though our current "great pain" is horrible as we watch Jacob in excruciating pain and recovery it does not lessen or diminish your pain, trial, issue. I have known depression - mornings where I felt like I could not get out of bed to look for a job. Where I actually felt like my shoulders were being pushed down into the bed. I truly believe that it takes great faith, great heroism just to get out of bed and move forward with our day. Whatever pain or trial we face is not on a sliding scale with God as to greatness. Christ meets us right where we are in the midst of what we are going through and has the capacity and desire to take on our burden and love us through that. I really think that is why James says there are "trials of various kinds."

We have an opportunity to connect with God through his son Jesus, Christ and to lay our burdens at his feet. As we have been surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses in our journey through fire so to we desire to surround each other - that is what our community this community is all about. Loving each other, drawing each other closer to God, and finding peace in the arms of a savior who loves us. It crosses all ethnic, social, denominational walls that seem to separate us. It allows us to take deeper breaths which feeds our veins, giving strength to the body. Either way - in times of blessing, times of great pain, Lord blessed be your name.

Love and peace

Tom (Dad)

9 comments:

Captain Kirk(endall) said...

Love you pops.

Isaiah-isms:

"For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem (Jacob) to be a joy, and her people to be a gladness. I will rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress." (chapter 65)

God is creating Jacob anew. Refreshing and restoring. The rest of that chapter is hard to hear because it is all about this utopian picture: no sorrow, no tears, etc... but how can we begin to understand this being accomplished in the concept of MESSIAH, CHRIST, RESTORATION?

Love you pops.

Rob

Cindy Todd said...

AMEN!

FROG4U said...

Tom,
You can not know how your words speak to my heart at this time. I have been without work for several months and too have felt that push on my shoulders to just not get up. what is the point? no reason to get up. no purpose in my life. I had begun to believe that maybe I was going to shrivel up and dissapear but then this thing with Jacob happened and I have been very diligent in regards to reading the blog several times a day and being awakened by the Father in the middle of the night to pray.The words that you have spoken in these past weeks have healed my heart. There is something so sureal about what you are going through that just puts things into perspective for me. Who am I to doubt what the Father has for me. Not in comparrison to your situation but just in the sense that My Father gave his Son to Hang on a Cross for ME. That is so overwhelming. So it is with great purpose that I begin each day at this point in my life and if that purpose is nothing but to pray for you and your family and others that the Lord has put on my heart than that is more than anything I can ask for.

Please know that your testimony is and will continue to touch the lives of others.
Jacob is Breathing that is so amazing. I have been praying for the Breath of God to breath on him and to breath His life into Jacob while he could not breath for himself. Now I pray for the Father to breath His healing Breath on Jacob that Jacob would continue to astound the doctors and the recovery would be quick and sudden.
I pray rest and Peace for you all.
Thank you for your heart for the Father.

Stephanie said...

It's so encouraging that Jake is starting to breathe on his own. Praise God! I'll continue to pray for him to breathe on his own 100% and for the next MRI to show complete healing!

Anonymous said...

Tom - I can't tell you how excited I am to read that Jacob is breathing for such a long period ON HIS OWN. I, too, want to scream that from the mountain-tops. We serve such an AWESOME God who is able (and willing) to do much more than we can ask or imagine. How much more for things that we CAN ask for and imagine. Once again, God proves just how faithful and gracious He is.

Thank you, too, for the reminder to keep seeking God and praising Him for whatever we're facing. I, too, struggle with all of this at times, and appreciate the reminder that God is still with me, regardless of how I feel. My head knows this, but it's hard to live it sometimes. I, too, love the song that you included, and agree that it is the perfect reminder of how we are to live our lives.

Still praying, and thanking you and Robbie for your openness and vulnerability. Really appreciate it.

Your Friend in Las Vegas

Anonymous said...

Tom and Rob,
Thank you for sharing. Our God is a good God... We are praying for Jacob for complete healing. I'm so happy to hear Jacob is breathing on his own for longer periods of time. God Bless... A Valley Mom

The Christensens said...

Breathing on his own?! Shout that from the rooftops baby! That totally ROCKS!!!

WE are with you in heart, spirit and in our daily prayers. Keep on keepin' on! This is awesome and unbelievably rockin' news. This is just the beginning of the God-sized miracle that is unfolding before us.

This is such good news, and more to come. We also pray for your rest and rejuvenation every day, so you all can continue to run and not be weary. May God continue to bless all you Kirkendalls - each one to his and her specific need for each moment. God bless you, and thank you for sharing Jacob's/your journey on this blog. We are with you 110%.

Victoria said...

Requested to post from Carol:

Wow!!! Thank you Father for allowing Jacob to start breathing on his own. Wow, what a gift!!!! Father continue to do miracles for this young man. Father we're trusting that on his next MRI there will be nothing there, totally clear picture and all because You've touched his body in such a marvelous way. Father, continue to wrap Your arms around his family and give them amazing grace and mercy. Thank You that You are giving his family grace to share their struggle so that it can encourage Your bride, Your church, that You indeed are at work. Praise the Lord for His gifts of grace!!!!!!!!
Blessings, Carol

Heidi said...

One of my favorite songs! :)