Thursday, July 2, 2009

Boldness

Here is a chapter from a book by Brennan Manning that I read last night:

"The New Oxford Dictionary contains thirty words from the Yiddish vocabulary; words like kibitz, kibbutz, goy, mensch, and of course, chutzpah.

chutzpah - Function: noun

Etymology: Yiddish khutspe, from Late Hebrew huspah

supreme self-confidence, boldness, nerve, sometimes an obnoxious aggressiveness.

Esther Schwartz was in front of a hotel in Miami with her three-year old grandson, Jacob. She absolutely adores Jacob. She bought precious little Jacob a canary yellow circular sun-hat so the sun wouldn't touch the top of Jacob's head. She also bought him a pail and shovel. Out on the beach, Esther narvels at Jacob's grace: picking up sand, putting it in the pail, picking up more sand, putting more sand in the pail.
Oh, Yahweh, thank you so much for Jacob.
Just then a tremendous wave comes in, picks up little Jacob, pail and shovel, and washes them out to sea. Esther Schwartz is very upset. She looks up at the sky and shouts, "Who do You think You are? Do You know who I am? I am Esther Schwartz. My husband, Solomon Schwartz, is a physician, and my son, Billy Schwartz, is a dentist. How dare You do that?"
Just then, a second tremendous tidal wave washes little Jacob, pail and shovel, right back to his grandmother's feet. Esther Schwartz looks up at the sky and shouts, "He had a canary yellow hat. Where's the hat?"
That, my friends, is chutzpah.

The author of the letter to the Hebrews says we are to approach the throne of grace with chutzpah, knowing we will find mercy and grace in time of need.

Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace,
so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help
in time of need.
(Heb. 4:16)

Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place
by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which he inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near
with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith.
(Hebrews 10:19-22)

Years ago the professional golfer Arnold Palmer played a series of exhibition matches in Saudi Arabia. When he finished the king was so impressed with Palmer's expertise that he desired to give Palmer a gift. Palmer, a multimillionare in his own right, demurred: "It isn't raelly necessary. I just nejoyed meeting your people and playing in your country."
The king indicated his extreme displeasure at not being able to give the golf pro a gift. Palmer wisely reconsidered and said, "Well, how about a golf club? A golf club would be a wonderful memento of my visit here." The king was pleased. The following day, a messenger delivered to Palmer's hotel room the title to a golf club, thirty-six holes, trees, lakes, buildings. The moral of the story? In the presence of the king, don't ask for small gifts.
One day Jesus was walking down the road in Galilee and the blind man, Bartimaeus, called out: "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!" The apostles trie to hush him up. But he cried louder, "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!"
Jesus stops, turns and asks, "What do you want?"
Without hesitation, the blind man says, "I want my sight!"
And Jesus says, "Your faith has saved you."
His sight was restored immediately and then Mark notes that Bartimaeus dropped his cloak. For a blind man, the cloak represented security, as the blind in first-century Palestine were considered cursed by God. Their families threw them in the streets. Their only protection against the elements was their cloak. He dropped his cloak. He dropped all the security he had ever known to follow the one namd Jesus.
What do you want? Today, right now?
Boldly ask.

The one thing we owe absolutely to God
is never to be afraid of anything.
-Charles deFoucauld"





A Jewish prayer of healing:

May the One who blessed our ancestors --

Patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,

Matriarchs Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, and Leah --

bless and heal the one who is ill:

Jacob, son of Tom.

May the Holy Blessed One

overflow with compassion upon him,

to restore him,

to heal him,

to strengthen him,

to enliven him.

The One will send him, speedily,

a complete healing --

healing of the soul and healing of the body --

along with all the ill,

among the people of Israel and all humankind,

soon,

speedily,

without delay,

and let us all say: Amen!


I know you are all praying like this. I praise that this morning he is doing better. Please continue in this manner.


"The question is not 'can we heal?' The question, the only question, is "will we let the healing power of the risen Jesus flow through us to reach and touch others, so that they may dream and fight and bear and run where the brave dare not to go?"


"If we as a Christian community took seriously that the sign of our love for Jesus was our love for one another, I am convinced it would change the world. We're denying to the world the one witness Jesus asked for: 'Love one another as I have loved you.'"

-Brennan Manning


I have seen this love from all of you.


-Robbie, brother of Jacob.



7 comments:

Casey Travis said...

so perfectly put. I replay many conversations we had with you during your recent visit to see us. I can't help but think that God is asking us to truly believe all the words we shared, all the thoughts we had, all the wonderings we explored of our Great God! He is taking our words, Robbie, and asking us to put movement in them! We knew that everything must change...it is. He is changing us and it is good and perfect and glorious to see His love flow through His Body...the church. Casey shared with me your realization of the need for the Body to pray..on your behalf. I'm glad you needed us! I'm glad God could use us all to help you! We love you so much Robbie! Thank you for sharing your heart so openely. You say what many of us dare to say, but what many of us feel! Praise God for every miracle every day!
Love,
Jess

Todd Millikan said...

Robbie-
Thanks for calling all of us to rally around your family in love. The Lord is bringing the best out in all of us through this ordeal. I'm humbled and inspired by your example. Keep it up.

If there's anything big or small that we (The Coastlands) can do for your family, please let me know.

-Todd

Eric Williamson said...

Jacob and family,

I just heard of your situation from a comment at www.connorwatch.org, and I wanted to give you what I hope will be a word of encouragement. I've placed Jacob's blog into the Forum there in the ConnorWatch Community, and many people besides myself will be following and praying for your family in the coming days. I understand that it is sometimes a difficult thing to ask for help even in the moment we need it most - I was at that same point a year ago - but if there is anything we at ConnorWatch can do for your family, you only have to ask. I leave this with you, knowing that your head knows the truth and your heart sometimes needs reminding -

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

- Romans 8:28

This too is working for good - for Jacob, for your family, and for the body around you. Keep the faith - daylight is coming.

Clinging to Him,

Eric Williamson
Connor's Dad
www.connorwatch.org

Heidi said...

Agreeing in prayer with you...Amen!
--The Mackie Family

Georgia said...

also fervently praying for you...

history said...

praying encouragement and rest for your whole family. I pray that the Lord will sustain you in this difficult time. I pray that God will continue to speak life and love into your hearts and souls. I pray that you will find rest in this time and that You will continue to see the God of Miracles working in your lives and through this ordeal touching the lives of the people around you as you continue to share through this blog I pray that you will be touched and blessed as you are blessing all those who read your updates. Thank you so much for your humbleness and vulnerability in this difficult time. Praise be to God that all things will work out for His Glory according to His Will. I Pray Peace and Rest and strength to you all.

history said...

God is a God of Miracles and Healing. I trust in him that he will lead you to the cross and meet you there. I know that it is difficult sometimes to see the positive in the time of difficulties but I know that God has a mighty plan for your family. I am encouraged that God will bring you all through this and that He WILL have the Victory. I am in continual prayer for your family and I know that there are people all over the world praying for Jacob and his fast recovery. I pray complete healing for his lungs and that the infection would be completely healed and there would be no scarring from the burns. I pray for complete healing of all his organs and that the burns on his skin will not leave scars. God will have the victory.
You are in my prayers.