Saturday, July 25, 2009

Balance and calm

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks of this journey - I am sure I have said this - most of you remember what we write better than me - I had no idea standing in the ER in Santa Cruz what we were in for - the blessings and well as the cursings. Here we stand day by day not sure what the next step holds and yet we walk - because of love.

I asked you to pray at about 9 for his fever - it did break - I left the hospital at about 10:45 and he was so calm and stable. All of his vital signs were good and he was peaceful. I am so thankful for who I left him with - such an angel - as well as God's angels in full attendance as well. "...and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds..." Thank you Lord. The presence of God is a mighty and powerful thing. When angles appeared in the Bible they usually first say "do not be afraid." There is more to fear in the presence of God than there is in this trial that we face. Hard to remember that - hard to look for and recognize God in this moment and yet he is there.

I had a moment from God today. It was through he touch of a young boy - I think he might be 5 who had come back to the burn unit for additional surgery. I watched from my room as he hugged nurses and visited with a family they made friends with. He was such a delight to watched - so badly scared - missing some of his fingers - with a tracheotomy, permanently on his neck. Ministry to my heart to see this boy - my boy will be able to function again - "and the peace of God" "do not be afraid". I was able to speak to him a bit with his family and I thanked them - thanked him for encouraging me - giving me hope.

Jacob is peaceful tonight - his body is healing. There is a balance that the nurses watch for keeping him in the right zone - an art not a science - God is the mix working as well - and there is a community - ever growing - that is in the mix, praying, caring, loving.

As I stood with Jacob tonight here is one of the verses that kept coming to my mind:
For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness,"made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. Paul in 2 Cor 4:6-10

hard pressed - not crushed
perplexed - not in despair
persecuted - not abandoned
struck down - not destroyed

God's not done so nor are we.

You know how to pray. More later - I'm tired and need some sleep.

Love and Peace

Tom (Jacob's Dad)

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Psalm 91:1, 11, 14, 15 Jacob dwells in the shelter of the Most High, he will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. He says of the Lord "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust... For He will command His angels concerning Jacob to guard him is all his ways. Because Jacob loves me says the LORD I will rescue him, I will protect him, for Jacob acknowledges my name. Jacob will call upon me and I will answer him. I will be with Jacob in trouble, I will deliver Jacob & honor him. With long live I will satisfy Jacob and how him my salvation.