Monday, June 29, 2009

Quick Update

Just a quick update on Jake's condition...
He is heavily sedated - completely asleep - and will be so for at least a couple days. We are not entirely sure what the Dr.'s will look for before they start to wake him up. But they are doing this, for one, because he would be in extreme pain were he awake. Also, I think it is easier for them to monitor his internal organs, move him around to dress wounds, etc.
I was told he has a fever, but that this is a normal reaction. They are moving him into a bed with cooling blankets.
Making sure his kidneys are fully functional is a key ingredient in his recovery. The electric currents coursing through his body killed a lot of muscle tissue (I suppose it could be called internal burns), which the body then has to break down and filter out in the urine. His boy is sending out HUGE amounts of this chemical. A normal amount is 200, and last night his count was at 20,000. But, by the end of today the amount of this chemical in his urine was under 17,000, which is really good news because, as the doctor said, he is hopefully in the "downward spiral" of flushing out his internal injuries.
However, the healing of his wounds, both internal and external, is only the first step. Basically, we are now simply waiting for the full ramifications of the accident to work themselves out, and then the doctors will see where that leads and go from there in his recovery. And, we are slowly realizing that "recovery" might really mean living with a lifetime of difficulties. However, we really have no idea. That is the crazy part about the nature of his injuries; it is not like a broken bone where the Dr.'s know exactly what to do to set it and get it on the right path. It will be a much larger process of ups and downs, working out a lot of little and big details caused by his accident.
I feel like I should be praying for his physical recovery. And I know that so many of you are. However, I keep coming back to desiring God to truly meet him in this process. God's plan for restoration and salvation looks so much different than anything we can imagine or formulate.
I was truly blessed and brought to tears by this text from my good friends in Idaho, the Travis'. Their young daughters were praying for Jacob:

"Sydney prayed for Jacob tonight...
she asked God to come talk to him in his dreams
so that he wouldn't be scared.
Syd also asked God to try really hard to fix him...
Kalie then told Syd that anything God tries works.
Syd said she was praying really fast in her head so that Jacob would
get better really fast."

-Robbie

p.s. just heard from my dad that while they were moving Jake onto the cooling blanket bed, he woke up a little and acknowledged what they were doing :)

2 comments:

Vicki Hallof said...

We are praying for all of you for God's strength and support. Know that you are loved and held up in prayer. Love Vicki and Joy Hallof.

Jill said...

Dear Tom and Family,

Regarding your thoughts above:

"I feel like I should be praying for his physical recovery. And I know that so many of you are. However, I keep coming back to desiring God to truly meet him in this process. God's plan for restoration and salvation looks so much different than anything we can imagine or formulate."

You articulated that so well. It is true that what we ask our Father for, might not be in the greater good or best interest of a bigger plan, and we need to trust in God's goodness and know that no matter the outcome, we will all be okay.

I remember when I lost my firstborn daughter to SIDS, I was so blow away, and mad at God for not giving me a "courtesy warning". I felt I was owed a least that after all I'd been through in gestation, birth and beyond.

In the end He gave me three more beautiful children, that give us great joy, and life goes on...

I am glad you are so grounded in wisdom, faith and love to carry you all through, no matter what. Love Jill Joey and Family