Tuesday, June 30, 2009

5:30 PM Tuesday.

Overall things are good. His temperature is down to 102 and the urinalysis continues to show improvement. He remains in critical condition, and we are still quite concerned for his arm. The doctor told us this morning that if his body continues to function well and they believe his body can handle it, there is a possibility of surgery on Thursday to clean up the skin on his right arm. They will use skin from a cadaver and lay it over the burned arm and hand to see if Jacob's skin will start to regenerate itself to avoid or at least lessen the skin grafts. Please pray that they will be able to save his right thumb somehow. Not to mention his arm.

We slept last night - which was much needed. We keep going in and out of Jacob's room. Debbie is able to stay in there longer. I have a hard time sitting still. We talk to him and pray with him and ask the Lord to heal our special son. The Auntie's my sister, Kirky, and Debbie's sister, Julie have been here most of the time and my parents have come in and out.

There is a growing out-pouring of love. There has been one Santa Cruz Sentinel article (www.santacruzsentinel.com search for Jacob Kirkendall). People that we know and that we do not know are asking what they can do for us practically. We will keep you posted. Right now we are loving the prayers and support. It is encouraging our spirit. I received this from a pastor/police officer in Georgia that I read when I woke up.

Your Cross
The everlasting God has in His wisdom
foreseen from eternity the cross
that He now presents to you
as a gift from His inmost heart
This cross He now sends you
He has considered with His all-knowing eyes,
understood with His divine mind,
tested with His wise justice,
warmed with His loving arms
and weighed with His own hands
to see that it be not one inch too large
and not one ounce too heavy for you
He has blessed it with His holy name,
anointed it with His consolation,
taken one last glance at you
and your courage, and then sent it
to you from heaven,
a special greeting from God to you,
in alms of the all-merciful love of God.
St. Francis de Sales

8 comments:

Heather said...

Debbie and Tom,

Jacob, your family and his recovery have not left our thoughts all day. If there is anything we can do, please do not hesitate to ask. As soon as you're ready Debbie, Hannah has a big hug for you.

The Martins

Oz said...

Tom --

Traci Conn (from old LGHS days) asked me to pass along that she is praying for you (via a facebook message to me).

Kent Ostby

heathertreen said...

You guys have been in our thoughts all day. We are relieved to hear Jacob is stable. We will of course continue to pray and send you hugs and healing energy for Jacob. If there is anything at all we can do, start a food train, bring Connor to visit Jensen, help julie at the house or anything. Know that we are there for you.
Love,
Heather, Greg and Connor

heathertreen said...

Tom and Debbie,
We are happy to have Jensen stay with us for a couple of days if he needs some friend time.
Love,
Heather, Greg and Connor

Karen said...

Tom and Debbie,
For the first time in a very long time, I'm speechless. Thd biggest lesson I've learned through hardship after hardship is that God's love sustains. I love you all so very much, and Jacob has overwhelmingly consumed my mind. You are all in my thoughts and prayers, consistantly.

I struggle for you all, and pray that God's peace will be your comfort. Please let us know if there is anything you need...even if it is just a hug.

Love to you all,
Karen, for the Draves

Laurie said...

Tom and Debbie, You and Jacob are in our hearts and prayers constantly. Both Rene and I had a hard time going to sleep last night, wondering how Jacob was doing, praying that God would do a miracle. I have sent requests out for prayer to many. May you be given grace to face this trial moment by moment, and to sense our loving Lord's presence around you. Love from Laurie and Rene Schlaepfer

Baylee said...

I read the article in the paper this morning- the only connection I have to Jacob was that I'm an Aptos High graduate (class of 2000). I cried for him, for you momma and you too dad. It's overwhelming when our babies are hurting, but I'm so glad you have the lord in your lives to see you through. My prayers are truly with you.

When my brother, an EMT in Monterey, came home from work I realized there were more connections. Hunter Young is my brother and his heart goes out. I'm part of the tight knit Freeline family too. I worked there for 4 years- please let us know if we can do anything!!! Water plants, feed a dog- whatever you need.

God bless!

MaggieM said...

I just read about Jacob this morning. We live close by. It could have been one of my teenage sons. I am keeping your son and family in my prayers. Let the doctors do their work and let God do his healing. Please know we are all pulling for Jacob!
Maggie